Honor(Deuteronomy 5:28-29, Deuteronomy 5:16)Rob Storey, February 12, 2012
Part of the We are a Covenant People series, preached at a Sunday Morning service
1. So often we read this command and substitute “obey” for “honor.” What is the difference?
2. You may not have grown up in a safe home or you may have had loving parents, but can you discuss for a moment what a safe and secure family and home would look like?
3. We talked on Sunday about being parents their children would want to honor. The roles of parents:
a. Nurture. What does nurture mean to you? (Read Deuteronomy 6 to help get the discussion started.)
· Read Colossians 3:20, 21…how do we “embitter” our children?
b. Direct. What does it mean that we are to direct your children? (Eph 6:1-4 and Heb 12:7-10 may help)
· How do we direct and not break a child’s spirit? (What is the difference between a child’s spirit and her will?)
c. Love. What does unconditional love towards your child look like? Read 1 Cor 13:4-7. Which aspects of this unfailing love is missing in your family life (marriage or parenting).
4. How do you honor your mother and/or father in your current stage of life?
5. How do you reconcile this command with our Christian lifestyle when the children have been abused or abandoned or unloved? What are some tensions in obeying this command in your child/parent relationship?
6. We talked about three actions and attitudes children need to have towards their parents. Visit about these and encourage one another with these three:
· We must forgive. Matt 6:14-15. Why? How?
· We must pray for and love. Matt 5:43-48. Why? How?
· We must (as much as it depends on us) live at peace. Romans 12:17-21. Why? How?
|« Sabbath||None||Do Not Murder »|
28 “And the Lord heard your words, when you spoke to me. And the Lord said to me, ‘I have heard the words of this people, which they have spoken to you. They are right in all that they have spoken. 29 Oh that they had such a mind as this always, to fear me and to keep all my commandments, that it might go well with them and with their descendants forever! (ESV)
16 “‘Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God commanded you, that your days may be long, and that it may go well with you in the land that the Lord your God is giving you. (ESV)